35 °
    34 °
    33 °
    33 °
    33 °
    34 °
    35 °
    37 °
    37 °
    38 °
    38 °
    38 °
    37 °
    37 °
    36 °
    35 °
    34 °
    33 °
    32 °
    31 °
    30 °
    30 °
    29 °
    28 °
    28 °
38°/ 31°
39°/ 27°
51°/ 32°
43°/ 34°
42°/ 30°
47°/ 36°

Knights trample Bison for a share of the East lead

Swingman: Senior Liam Benson scans the defense looking for an open teammate vs. Buffalo Grove on Jan. 16. Benson contributed with two points, one assist and one rebound. In this game Benson made both of his two attempted free throws.

By Jack Ankony, sports editor

Swingman: Senior Liam Benson scans the defense looking for an open teammate vs. Buffalo Grove Jan. 16. Benson contributed with two points, one assist and one rebound. In this game, Benson made both of his two attempted free throws.

The boys’ basketball team traveled to Buffalo Grove Jan. 16, marking the halfway point in conference play. The Knights came out strong, scoring the first four baskets of the game, and never looked back, taking a 14-8 lead at the end of the first quarter.
“Coming off the loss to Wheeling, it was very important to come out fast offensively and defensively, and we did that,” head coach John Camardella said.
Camardella explains that defense was key in getting out to a big lead. Just a few weeks ago, Prospect lost defensive stopper senior Dan Marshall to a shoulder injury. Camardella let Marshall give the team a pregame talk before the game to set the tone defensively.
The pregame talk worked for the Knights, who only allowed Buffalo Grove to score over eight points in one quarter. Taking a twenty one point lead at half, the Knights went into the locker room comfortably, but knew they didn’t want to let up.
“We wanted to bounce right back in the second and send another statement,” Camardella said. “Our guys knew we needed to play the full sixteen minutes to sixteen minutes.”
With a twenty eight point lead heading into the fourth quarter, Prospect found significant production from everyone on the team. According to junior Frankie Mack, having everyone score in this game showed the team’s great depth and made it a lot easier for them, closing out the game 68-39.
Camardella thinks the team meshed very well tonight, the offense staying fluid with the starters and bench players all playing well. Going forward, this game had big implications in the MSL East. The Knights are currently tied with Elk Grove for the lead in the East.
“I couldn’t even begin to tell you how huge this game was for the East,” Camardella said. “With five games remaining in the East, this was one that we needed to pick up.”
Mack believes the team will use this game to build off of heading into the second half of conference play.
“[This game] was a huge confidence boost,” Mack said. “It shows our potential going forward that if we play the best we can, we will blow teams out.”