35 °
    34 °
    33 °
    33 °
    33 °
    34 °
    35 °
    37 °
    37 °
    38 °
    38 °
    38 °
    37 °
    37 °
    36 °
    35 °
    34 °
    33 °
    32 °
    31 °
    30 °
    30 °
    29 °
    28 °
    28 °
38°/ 31°
39°/ 27°
51°/ 32°
43°/ 34°
42°/ 30°
47°/ 36°

Boys' soccer wins Regional title, beats Conant

By Kelly Schoessling

Entertainment Editor|

Prospect’s Boy’s Varsity Soccer team (9-8-3)  further advanced themselves into the Sectional Semi-Finals Friday night by beating Conant (8-10-2)  in Hoffman Estates 2-1.

The Knights started the game off strong with senior Zack Surico scoring the first goal of the night, and taking PHS into the lead.
“We knew it was really important to start strong,” Senior Matt Burikas said. “It really got our energy going, getting the lead. “
Though PHS scored the first goal, Conant quickly responded by tying up the match with a goal of their own.
Senior Curtis Glennon thinks the goal by Conant was a wake up call to keep the PHS defense strong and get back on their feet.
The Knights caught up by the end of the game with senior Ryan Srednicki scoring once more and ending the game.
“It’s a big accomplishment, especially for us being a 16 seed. It’s [Regional title] really something we’ve hoped to accomplish this whole year,” Burikas said.
Both Burikas and Glennon agree that a key factor that brought up the team’s spirits for the game was the previous 2-0 win against Palatine, the number one seeded school in the Conant Sectional.
“It was more of an accomplishment [beating Conant] because against Palatine, we knew going in that we could win,” said Glennon.
“It seemed like Conant was a harder test for us because there was more pressure in the game.  Usually a 1st seed school beats a 16th seed school. We had much more pressure to win the Regional [finals]  since we did beat the number one team [Palatine].”
The Knights will be advancing forward to face the winner of the Elk Grove Regional which has yet to be determined.
The team also made history winning the Regional Title for a second year in a row after last year’s team won the MSL championship.
“Obviously we don’t have the same skills on our team as last year, and we’re not expected to go as far. But as a team we believe that we can go as far as last year and even farther,” Burikas said.
“We haven’t had the greatest season, but getting out these victories at the end of the year when it really matters is really important,” Burikas said.