35 °
    34 °
    33 °
    33 °
    33 °
    34 °
    35 °
    37 °
    37 °
    38 °
    38 °
    38 °
    37 °
    37 °
    36 °
    35 °
    34 °
    33 °
    32 °
    31 °
    30 °
    30 °
    29 °
    28 °
    28 °
38°/ 31°
39°/ 27°
51°/ 32°
43°/ 34°
42°/ 30°
47°/ 36°

Speech heads to sectionals

By Erin Schultzbroadcast editor

Performance in the Round poses with their regionals award on Saturday, Feb. 6 following their award winning interpretation of Mamma Mia.

Sophomore Patrick Kelly-Dutile reads two CNN stories out loud daily to prepare for his speech event, radio speaking.
This paid off for him on Saturday, Feb. 6 at Warren Township High School when he took third place in his event at regionals.
“I was so excited. I didn’t expect it at all, though, because at the beginning of the season, I didn’t place at all. I just gradually moved up, and obviously that’s the result of the help of everyone on the team,” Kelly-Dutile said.
This is the sixth consecutive year Prospect has been crowned Regional Speech Champions.
In fact, Prospect placed in more than ten events this weekend: junior Jimmy McDermott and senior Kit Fitzgerald took first in Dramatic Duo Acting, sophomore Molly McDermott took first in Dramatic Interpretation, senior Lillian Hermes took third in Extemporaneous Speaking and first in Impromptu Speaking, junior Ben Marshall and Molly took second in Humorous Duet Acting, senior Andrew Pittman took second in Humorous Interpretation and first in original comedy, junior Rhegan Graham took first in oratorical declamation, Fitzgerald took first in Prose, Jimmy took first in Original Oratory, junior John Zack took first in Poetry and senior Veronica Boratyn took second in Informative Speaking.
The Performance in the Round Speech Team also placed first for their interpretation of Mamma Mia. Individuals who performed are freshman Emmett Knee, sophomores Nicky Cima, Keilyn Howard, Alyssa O’Connell, Emma Knott, Kamila Cwanek, Megan McLaughlin, juniors Maggie Ward, Grace Godby, Michael Aliacote, Abby Grott, Anthony Ciero, along with seniors Ryan Kopp, Natalie Carioti and Grace Gadow.
Hermes is extremely proud of the team. They received over 100 points for the first time in Prospect history, and on Saturday, Feb. 13, Speech Team will compete at Downers Grove South for the sectional title. However, Hermes says it isn’t all about the score.
“I’d love to make it to state. I’d love to do well, but especially with Prospect, our goal isn’t necessarily to place, but to make an impact,” Hermes said.