35 °
    34 °
    33 °
    33 °
    33 °
    34 °
    35 °
    37 °
    37 °
    38 °
    38 °
    38 °
    37 °
    37 °
    36 °
    35 °
    34 °
    33 °
    32 °
    31 °
    30 °
    30 °
    29 °
    28 °
    28 °
38°/ 31°
39°/ 27°
51°/ 32°
43°/ 34°
42°/ 30°
47°/ 36°

New principal announced

By Amanda Stickels, online editor-in-chief 
Current Associate Principal Greg Minter was named principal for the 2017-2018 school year at the High School District 214 Board of Education meeting tonight. Minter will be succeeding current principal Michelle Dowling after her 34 year career in District 214, six of which were as Prospect’s principal.
According to District 214 Superintendent Dr. David Schuler, the interview process started in December. Out of the 20-25 applicants, Schuler said the selection committee, which constituted of administrators, representatives from each academic department, a parent representative, a school board member as well as student representatives, chose six or seven candidates for the first round of interviews. Then after a second interview and lunch with Schuler, Minter was chosen by the committee and eventually approved by the Board of Education as the best fit for the principal position
“We looked at people from all over the country, and at the end of the day, Mr. Minter was the best person to lead Prospect High School,” Schuler said.
Schuler said that he and the entire committee clearly saw that Minter’s experience, voice and ideas stood out to them. Minter, along with being an associate principal at Prospect since 2003, was an assistant principal Meadowdale High School in Lynnwood, Washington from 1999 through 2003 and had teaching experience in different schools in Washington.
Minter’s administrative experience, especially at Prospect, was a big factor in choosing him and will provide for a seamless transition into his new role, as he already knows the culture, staff and students.
“[Minter] clearly understands that Prospect students and parents are very high-achieving,” Schuler said. “They want a rigorous experience that prepares them for the next step. At the same time, [he understands] that there is concern about the students overstressing themselves and making sure that we continue to have that conversation about balance.”
Although he will officially take on the position on July 1, from now until then, Minter will be working closely with Dowling to make decisions for next year.
Overall, Schuler has confidence in Minter and is excited to see what he will do with Prospect in the upcoming years.
“I think [Minter] is going to take [Prospect] to greater heights of excellence,” Schuler said.