Choir program hosts annual daddy-daughter fundraiser

By Maddie Conway Staff Writer
dance 1

For the third time, 8-year-old Sydney Callahan was excited to get dolled up in her blue dress and head to Prospect on Saturday, Feb. 6, ready to dance the night away with her father and friends at the choir department’s Daddy Daughter Dance Fundraiser.

For the second-grade Fairview student and her father, spending the Saturday evening in the Jean Walker Field House was more than just doing the “Cha Cha Slide” and eating heart-shaped cookies as refreshments; attending the choir department’s biggest booster was also a way to support the program in which her older sister is most involved. That sister, junior Sam Callahan, was also a part of the Daddy Daughter Dance for her third year — only unlike her sister and father, Sam worked behind the scenes.
As a second-year member of Company, Sam joined the other members of Company, Mixed Company and Treble Choir under directors Jen Troiano and Stephen Colella to plan and prepare for the annual fundraiser. Although Sam worked at the actual dance the previous two years, this year, she worked the preparation shift from 9 a.m. to 12 p.m. before the dance with between 30 and 40 others.
During the day before the dance began, the choir department worked to set up for the fundraiser, doing everything from blowing up nearly 1000 balloons, setting up the registration table and decorating to prepare for the influx of the 417 families that attended. dance 3When the actual dance began, Sydney and the other attendees found themselves enjoying the decorations, which included colorguard flags from previous shows hung around the Field House and a photo booth, the refreshments and taking photographs with a “beautiful” princess, senior choir member Alexi Dabrowski.
For Sydney, the dance that has always been one of her favorite fundraisers was once again “really fun,” prompting her to want to go again next year.
Sam Callahan said that she liked the fundraising experience and its success, as well. “It’s huge,” Sam said. “We get a lot of fundraising from it, and it’s a lot of fun, too. A lot of people think it’s really cheesy, but it’s really fun to see all the little girls.”
In total, the fundraiser raised $7000 from sales of the $16 tickets, 10 percent of which go to the boosters club that buys different things for the choir such as microphones. The remaining 90 percent goes to the choral department. Junior Mixed Company member Claire Reibel said that she feels that the money made in the fundraiser has a significantly positive impact on the department.
“It’s a really good fundraiser for Company, Mixed Company and Treble Choir because we play a part in it,” Reibel said. “We work towards the money that’s being made.”
Beyond that fiscal outcome, however, Company and Treble Choir Director Colella was impressed by the fundraiser’s success as an event 2
“I was amazed at how many people showed up and how nice it was,” Colella reflected. “There were a lot of daddies with their daughters… It looked better than Homecoming.”
To see more photos from the Daddy-Daughter event, click here.