35 °
    34 °
    33 °
    33 °
    33 °
    34 °
    35 °
    37 °
    37 °
    38 °
    38 °
    38 °
    37 °
    37 °
    36 °
    35 °
    34 °
    33 °
    32 °
    31 °
    30 °
    30 °
    29 °
    28 °
    28 °
38°/ 31°
39°/ 27°
51°/ 32°
43°/ 34°
42°/ 30°
47°/ 36°

Medical Students Raise Money for Patient Care Packages

By Marissa Provenzale, Staff Writer
Brownie skulls, popcorn monster hands, creature Rice Krispies, and other sweet goodies covered the Scrubs Club bake sale table outside the cafeteria Tuesday, Oct. 30, and Wednesday, Oct. 31.
After receiving the generous amount of $400 from the Parent and Teacher Association, the club did not want to stop raising funds there.
“We still wanted to play it safe and raise money so we don’t hit a barrier to do events,” said senior Kisa Jafri, one of Scrubs Club’s founders.
Scrubs Club is a new organization for students who are planning or considering a career in the medical field and want to gain real world experience before college.
Treats were sold for $1 during all lunch hours. The club’s members made the sweets and bought the supplies themselves. The proceeds from this bake sale event will go toward creating care packages for hospital patients. Additionally, the packages will be assembled by Scrubs Club using a list of predesignated items provided by the hospitals.
“It makes me feel satisfied in knowing that the cute little things I make go to help make someone smile when they are really sick and can’t go out,” senior Carly Matthews said. “Hopefully, the packages that we make bring them lots of happiness and love.”
According to Jafri, the packages will be delivered to one of the following facilities: Northwest Community Hospital, Advocate Lutheran General Hospital, Lemons of Love, or Ann & Robert H. Lurie Children’s Hospital of Chicago. However, Northwest Community Hospital is their first choice.
“Every time we have a meeting, every time we do something as a club, I always have this feeling that no one is going to do it, but then, everyone does it,” said Jafri. “It is just the best feeling.”
Scrubs Club will have their first speaker on Nov. 7 who will discuss what it is like to be a Family Medicine Physician.
Later this month, on Nov. 28, they will visit the Kenneth Young Center. This is a facility that helps individuals cope with mental illness and works with senior citizens to help them live independently for longer. While at the Kenneth Young Center, managers will sit down with Prospect’s students and talk about mental health and senior services.
Since the club’s debut on Sept 26, many continue to gather on Wednesdays to continue to make a difference and learn new things through Scrubs Club.
“It is a great feeling making this club and seeing that so many people wanted this to happen,” said Jafri.