35 °
    34 °
    33 °
    33 °
    33 °
    34 °
    35 °
    37 °
    37 °
    38 °
    38 °
    38 °
    37 °
    37 °
    36 °
    35 °
    34 °
    33 °
    32 °
    31 °
    30 °
    30 °
    29 °
    28 °
    28 °
38°/ 31°
39°/ 27°
51°/ 32°
43°/ 34°
42°/ 30°
47°/ 36°

Dodgeball tournament draws spectators, stirs up excitement

Jean Rezny prepares to play against the opposing team in dodgeball. Rezny's performance for the First Ladies Dodgeball Team created much of the excitement at the event.

By Jenna Mastrolonarodo
Staff Writer
Prospect hosted its annual dodgeball tournament last Tuesday, which attracted enough people to fill the stands in the fieldhouse.

“The overall participation was very successful,” Michael Sebestyen, a Prospect teacher who also called the shots at this week’s tournament as one of the referees, said. “There was an excitement that probably hasn’t been there in three years.”
Part of the excitement can be chalked up to Jean Rezny’s performance in the First Ladies versus XX match.
“Before we started, my prediction was that they were a 1/2 person underdog,” said Sebestyen.
But Rezny proved everyone wrong when she fought until the very end, and managed to survive a tough three-on-one situation before a caught ball knocked her team out of first place.
The final game between the two women’s teams was the highlight of the night, according to Sebestyen, due to Rezny’s “ability to continue to survive”.
Rezny also managed to entertain the crowd at the same time, once marching right up to the line and setting down a ball for the other team, just waiting for someone to step forward so she could suprise them with another dodgeball.
The pumped-up crowd spilled from the bleachers and surrounded the court to watch the two teams duel for first place.
The excitement was short-lived. In an attempt to oust an opposing player from the court, Rezny took a chance and trew the ball, only for it to be caught by Team XX, landing the First Ladies in the second place spot.
On the men’s side, the House of Reps defeated Kellar in the last men’s match of the night, advancing them to the finals to compete against staff team, the Supreme Court.
“The Supreme Court always has final authorization,” said Sebestyen, who will be playing on the team in the final match. “It’s an easy win.”
Both teams want it, but only one team can dodge, duck, dip, and dive their way to the Patches ‘O Houlihan trophy.