35 °
    34 °
    33 °
    33 °
    33 °
    34 °
    35 °
    37 °
    37 °
    38 °
    38 °
    38 °
    37 °
    37 °
    36 °
    35 °
    34 °
    33 °
    32 °
    31 °
    30 °
    30 °
    29 °
    28 °
    28 °
38°/ 31°
39°/ 27°
51°/ 32°
43°/ 34°
42°/ 30°
47°/ 36°

'Old zone' schools the student body and their parents: Staff dominate Knightgames

Juniors TJ Pagels and Jack Hillinger participate in the mummy wrap at the Knightgames competition on Wednesday, Oct. 6.

By Heather Dove
Staff Writer

Student Council Adviser Michelle Rosenheim was nervous about Knightgames.  Being her first year planning the event and having never been to Knightgames, she wanted everyone to have fun as they did in the past.
To get prepared, Rosenheim said, “[I had to do] everything from getting the gym, to teams, to getting students, to wrist bands, to having music ready.”
However, she had a lot of help in order to get Knightgames up and running. Student Council, for example, was very involved.
Student Council Committee head junior Kristen Klippert thought that it “wasn’t too much work” to prepare for Knightgames.  However, she also head help from senior Nicole Muscarello and sophomore Carolyn Fujara, who are both on the Student Council Executive Board.
By the end of Knightgames, Rosenheim had nothing to be nervous or worried about.

“[We had the] biggest crowd, loudest crowd and weakest competition,” Rosenheim said.

Even after being dubbed “the old zone,” the staff won Knightgames after they took down both the juniors and seniors separately in tug-of-war.

There was only big issue with Knightgames: musical chairs.

Every year Knightgames has its own kind of musical chairs. Participants all stagger around the chairs, keeping themselves in position to sit whenever the music stops. In order to get players to move continuously, sophomore class board adviser Michelle Tantillo and Rosenheim moved the positioning of the chairs into a circle and made players put their hands on their heads.
None of this worked. Due to this, Rosenheim is already planning for next year. She is considering implementing some sort of scatter pattern so that contestants will have to move.

While Student Council was trying to figure out ways to get participants to move, seniors Brienne Kelly and Reed Mauer were battling it out with the other contestants. After Kelly beat the last contestant, a freshman, both of the seniors were the last two knights standing, which gave the seniors a win.

Kelly has played in Knightgames every year since she was a freshman, so she had gained experience and tips from friends over the years. On top of all of this, every time she participated, she was one of the last three playing.

“I feel so awesome for accomplishing my goal [to win musical chairs],” Kelly said

Helping all of the events was announcer, senior and Homecoming King, Blake Heyde. Even though Heyde is homecoming king, he had been asked by Student Council, an activity Heyde is a member of, to be the announcer for Knightgames long before he knew he would be crowned homecoming king.  It was his job to keep everything going, and to “keep it flowing.”
Although it was his job to keep up the crowd spirit, Heyde felt that the crowd really did his job for him.

“Everyone else did the work,” Heyde said.”I had a good time.”