35 °
    34 °
    33 °
    33 °
    33 °
    34 °
    35 °
    37 °
    37 °
    38 °
    38 °
    38 °
    37 °
    37 °
    36 °
    35 °
    34 °
    33 °
    32 °
    31 °
    30 °
    30 °
    29 °
    28 °
    28 °
38°/ 31°
39°/ 27°
51°/ 32°
43°/ 34°
42°/ 30°
47°/ 36°

Girls’ tennis places second in the east division, looks ahead to next year

image1
Senior Karina Petrunova returns the ball to her opponent. She and her doubles partner Hannah Haeberle placed fifth at conference.

By Caley Griebonow
When facing up against Hersey, tennis coach Mike McColaugh knew it would be close. But not this close.
The match was tied 3-3, meaning the final match would determine the victor. Girls from both teams were gathered around the court, cheering on as a doubles team of seniors Caroline Trefelner and Giana Galle battled the huskies. They went to three games, which is as long as one can play. After pulling ahead with some good serving, they were able to clinch the win.
“It’s a fun atmosphere. It’s fun to come out on top” McColaugh said. “The whole team is together, all pulling for each other, regardless of whether those kids had personally won or lost.”
It those kind of victories that allowed the team to go 4-1 in the MSL East and second in their division, and fifth overall in the MSL.
Players who contributed to that fifth place were senior Karina Petrunova and junior Hannah Haeberle. As the first doubles team, they played a hard fought game against Palatine at conference, thus earning them a fifth place title and medals.
“[Competing] really brings out the best of your ability,” Haeberle said. “Especially if it’s against a tough team.”
For Haeberle, playing with her partner for the last time has been bittersweet.
“That’s when it kind of kicked it for me, that the seniors won’t be here next year,” Haeberle said. She is, however, looking forward to seeing who her doubles partner will be next year.
Both Haeberle and Petrunova will miss the supportive relationship they have formed with all of their teammates.
“Everyone was very welcoming, and it never felt individual,” Petrunova. “It’s very much a team.”
Looking ahead to next year, McColaugh is anticipating an experienced group of girls returning to the varsity level. And while winning the East division is always a goal that he’s hoping to accomplish with his team, McColaugh knows there is always a lesson to take away from every match.
“There’s always the next challenge. If you weren’t good enough one day, there’s always another opportunity,” he said. “It’s a lesson we learn over and over: we just have to be prepared for what lies ahead.”